AAAS (www.aaas.org) - American association of science. AAAS is a 165 year old International organization headquartered in Washington DC, USA. It is the single largest general scientific society in the world.
Atlogys was hired by AAAS to single-handedly and dedicatedly manage (from scratch) the end-to-end software development and deployment of its latest web-based professional networking platform - Trelliscience.
It is a LinkedIn type professional networking platform - A community for scientists and other
scientific stakeholders to connect, discuss, and collaborate for facilitating enhanced research
productivity. Trellis is a responsive web app for phones, tablets and PC’s with a rich &
It is a cutting-edge, web 2.0 platform built on a scalable API based backend & using state-of-the-art technology to support heavy traffic
Atlogys Scope and Contributions:
- Creation of Technical Requirements Specifications (SRS) [Business IT Conversion]
- In-depth conversations with client to understand business objectives and strategy. Discuss all Trellis usage scenarios, suggest appropriate workflows, validate assumptions, perform technical evangelism & technical feasibility analysis.
- Creation of Technical Architecture Document (HLD)
- Define and Document all backend API calls and methods, json response formats
- DB schema design, Account for Performance, security, scalability
- Architect Algorithm & workflow for recommendation. Caching, permissions engines
- Conceptualize Load Balanced Hardware Deployment Stack for Staging and Prod
- Complete HTML/CSS development - Responsive for three platforms
- Full Project Planning and Distribution into Sprints - Complete Scrum Planning
- Full Coding of Complete Frontend and Backend Application Servers
- Ongoing Project Management - Complete resource Planning and Delivery Management
- Code Review and Ongoing Technical R&D
- QA Testing
- E2E functional Testing using Protractor (with Continuous Integration)
- Deployment to various environments (dev, qa, staging, production)
- Setting up, Configuring, Writing scripts, and managing Jenkins for automated deployments
- AngularJS, Ajax,
- CakePHP, Redis
- mongoDB & Mysql,
- AWS (S3 storage server and CDN, EC2, ELB, RDS),
- Apache Solr,
- Jenkins, Protractor for E2E tests
- SVN, BeanStalk, JIRA
- 3rd party integrations like Lin, Google Maps, embed.ly, Solr, Orcid/CrossRef, PubMed for scientific data like profiles and API's etc.
Features of Trelliscience.com
- Registration and Profile (Lin, Orchid)
- My Connections and Followers
- Discussion Module - commenting, threading, voting, sorting
- Group and Group hierarchies with various visibility / privacy settings
- Events including calendar view
- Document Module with the following features:
- Upload and automatically pulling metadata
- Publishing to groups, starting discussions, etc.
- Online Document viewer with Annotations
- Various types of personalized notifications
- On platform notifications
- Newsfeed - both user and group level activities on the platform that the user might be interested in
- Email notifications - including email settings, and daily/weekly digest options.
- Advanced Searching
- Automatic Recommendation module
- Suggests papers, connections on basis of likes and browsing behaviour
- Document Collaboration
Technical Challenges Overcome
Group Hierarchies – Trellis has concept of public/private and open/closed groups. Add to that the complexity of child/parent relationships, which leads to various combinations of visibility/privacy that needs to be honored throughout the system. We built a custom ACL/permissions/visibility layer responsible insuring correct visibility/permissions settings throughout the platform to tackle this.
AGILE - Bi-Weekly Sprints - a scrum master assigns tasks to developers, creates the scrum board and does daily stand-ups with team.
Resources aligned by Atlogys
A Dedicated Engineering team was provided and managed by Atlogys. Team Includes:
- 2 dedicated backend developers
- 2 dedicated frontend developers
- 1 dedicated web (html5/css3) developer
- 1 dedicated QA engineer
- 50% of a senior tech architect who also does scrum planning
- Some involvement from a senior delivery manager (15%)
- 50% of a dedicated cloud engineer - for deployments, Jenkins
Launched as www.trellisscience.com - In use by 1000+ scientists in USA. To be launched to 6M scientific community in the world by Jan 2016.